Barristers in the insolvency and company practice group have extensive experience in all insolvency and company matters. Through our corporate membership, we are all associate or new professional members of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals: R3 and/or members of the Chancery Bar Association.
Members of this practice group range in call from newly qualified to over 25 years’ in practice. This depth of experience enables us to provide clients with an expert and cost-effective service suitable to our clients’ needs.
Our insolvency work includes:
- Corporate insolvency and restructuring (including compulsory liquidation/winding up petitions, injunctions to restrain, administration, CVAs, CVLs, MVLs, administrative receivership and Law of Property Act 1925 receivership).
- Bankruptcy statutory demands and petitions, IVAs, applications for validation and annulment orders.
- Office-holder claims and investigations (transactions at undervalue, preferences, transactions to defraud creditors, asset recovery, private examinations, delivery up orders, wrongful and fraudulent trading claims, misfeasance, applications for orders for sale).
- Creditor claims and disputed proofs of debt.
- Disclaimer by officeholders.
- Co-ownership, beneficial interests and trusts relating to the insolvent estate.
- Cross-border insolvency.
- Director disqualification proceedings.
- Claims and applications relating to the prohibited use of company names.
Our company work includes:
- Shareholder disputes, including unfair prejudice petitions and derivative claims.
- Challenges to the decisions of management (members also practise in the area of partnership law).
- Directors’ and fiduciaries’ duties, including shadow and de facto directors.
- Joint venture disputes.
- Restoration of companies to the register of companies.
- The Company Names Tribunal.
- Late registration of company charges.
- Rectification of and removal of documents from the register of companies.
Most of our cases come through solicitors but we can also be instructed by insolvency practitioners, companies, shareholders and directors. If you or your client would like advice on a particular matter, contact our clerks on 020 7815 3200. They will be happy to recommend an appropriate barrister to help you.
We present seminars for professional clients as part of our internal seminar programme and at our clients’ offices. We are happy to create tailored training events for existing and prospective clients. If you would like to discuss bespoke training options, please contact David Portch, our senior clerk.
Our senior barristers are among the most experienced in the UK and edit some of the leading specialist publications. Our hand-picked junior members deal with matters involving commercial law on a daily basis. This range of experience enables us to provide clients with a service that is both expert and cost-effective.
To view profiles of our team members, including their individual areas of expertise, please click on the profiles below.
For all enquires please contact our senior clerk, David Portch, and his team at