- Called: 2017
Joe started pupillage in October 2019. So far, his supervisors have been Simon Mills (Commercial Team) and Jane Hodgson and Sam Phillips (Property Team). Joe accepts instructions in all areas of Property and Commercial work.
Prior to starting pupillage, Joe worked as a Solicitors’ Agent. Joe attended hundreds of hearings in the County Court, including possession hearings, interlocutory applications, and small claims trials. Joe also attended numerous telephone hearings, such as applications to stay warrants of possession and directions hearings.
Joe was also a manager in a firm of solicitors who provide advocacy services. In this role Joe worked closely with clients to provide practical, cost effective solutions to litigation. In 2018, Joe received a travel scholarship from the Middle Temple which allowed him to intern with a boutique law firm in the USA, who specialised in commercial litigation.
As a pupil to Simon Mills, Joe assisted in a wide range of commercial disputes, particularly those in the invoice discounting and factoring arena. Examples of this work include:
- Drafting pleadings where Guarantors allege fraud and deceit in the signing of Guarantees.
- Advising on the proper construction of contractual clauses, such as non-assignment clauses and conclusive evidence clauses.
As a Solicitors’ Agent, Joe has attended numerous hearing to enforce judgment debts, obtaining orders such as Third-Party Debt Orders, Charging Orders, and Attachment of Earnings Orders.
Joe also has experience of insolvency matters.
- As a pupil, Joe assisted in a long running case where a Bankrupt challenged the Trustee’s decision to admit a debt into bankruptcy, alleging the underlying contract was obtained fraudulently.
- Joe also assisted Simon Mills in advising a director against a liquidator’s claim of there being transactions at an undervalue and preference.
- In his previous role, Joe presented several bankruptcy petitions. He also has experience of applications to set aside a statutory demand, as well as applications to annul a bankruptcy
Joe has experience of wide variety of property litigation, from real property to landlord and tenant matters.
- As a pupil, Joe has assisted in drafting advices on the existence and scope of easements of access.
- Joe has also drafted a pleading and an advice on Japanese Knotweed claims.
- Joe has also assisted in cases involving service charge disputes and allegations of disrepair,
- As a pupil, Joe has assisted Sam Phillips in advising on commercial leases and forfeiture.
- In his previous role, Joe frequently obtained possession orders in mortgage proceedings, as well as in private landlord and tenant disputes.
In the Housing context, as a pupil to Jane Hodgson, Joe assisted on numerous possession claims, involving anti-social behaviour, security of tenure and unlawful sub-letting. As a pupil, Joe has also assisted in several committal proceedings and Joe assisted Jane Hodgson on a High Court appeal regarding the bringing of a s.204 appeal out of time.
- LLB – University of Bristol (2013 -2016)
- BPTC – University of Law (2016-2017)
- Anglo-American Travel Scholarship (Middle Temple)
- Jerry Parthab Singh Scholarship (Middle Temple)
- Advocacy Scholarship (University of Law)
- Winner – Herbert Smith Freehills Mooting Competition (2015)
- Winner – Maritime and Commercial Arbitration Mooting Competition (2016)
- Winner – University of Bristol Mock Trial Competition (2016)