- Called: 2003
“Gillian goes above and beyond to assist those instructing her and always gets great results”
Gillian is an experienced advocate who provides expert advice and representation in the Property and Housing sectors
Before coming to the Bar, Gillian worked for the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street and has also extensive experience in EU Public Affairs. As a result she has garnered formidable negotiation and consultative skills and thrives under pressure.
Gillian sat both as an Adult and Family Magistrate (Chair) on the Hertfordshire Bench from 2007 – 2017 and maintains a keen interest in civil/criminal jurisdictional crossover issues. Her experience as a Magistrate means she has a keen grasp of judicial process and the realities of the court arena.
She is particularly renowned for her delicate care and skill for those clients who have more complex needs both as a representative and when dealing with litigants in person.
Gillian regularly presents seminars on social housing topics including ASB reform, Committal processes, Public Space Protection Orders, Closure Orders and Environmental Protection Orders.
Gillian’s practice covers many aspects of housing law, including anti-social behaviour, possession proceedings, unlawful eviction and harassment, security of tenure, housing management and injunctions, including committals.
She regularly represents Local Authorities and Social Housing Providers in matters relating to Anti Social Behaviour, Equality Act issues, Mental Health crossover, Death and Intestacy and other matters relating to possession.
Recent Cases include
- Acting for the Local Authority in two separate Closure orders in London whereupon the properties were being used for Anti-Covid parties both at the initial and extension hearings.
- Acting for a Local Authority in a defended Closure Order application regarding serious anti-social behaviour including drugs and prostitution. A full order was granted.
- Acting in a case for a social landlord regarding the exclusion of a tenant to allow for a mental health respite, both for the tenant and the rest of the residents in the block. This required careful and delicate management.
- Acting in a case defending a suspension of warrant application regarding Equality Act issues, where it was argued the Social Landlord owed a duty regarding mutual exchange and assistance on the housing register.
- Acting in an anti-social behaviour injunction matter where the Defendant fluxed in and out of capacity and managing the additional burdens both in the court process and with the actualities of the case.
Gillian has expertise in the Magistrates Court, particularly in relation to Closure Orders.