- Called: 2011
Sam is a property and trusts specialist and member of Five Paper’s Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 ranked Property Team.
Before joining Chambers, Sam managed and developed a portfolio of 850 properties in London for one of the largest landlords in the UK.
Drawing on his industry experience, Sam provides a clear, accessible and commercially sensible service to clients at all stages of litigation and in mediation.
Sam Phillips accepts instructions in all areas of property law, but with particular emphasis on trusts of land, real property and leasehold matters.
Sam regularly appears in the Chancery and Queen’s Bench Divisions of the High Court, the County Court and the Property Chamber.
Contested applications under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act (TLATA), property disputes arising from contested wills and probate.
Release from covenants, enforcement of covenants, adverse possession claims, commercial leases, injunctions, boundary disputes. Acting for landlords, property managers and RTM companies in the Property Chamber.
Landlord and Tenant/Housing
Acting for landlords and tenants in all areas of housing law, particularly contested possession claims, disrepair matters, article 8 and proportionality challenges as well as homelessness appeals, obtaining Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions and enforcement through committal proceedings.
Sam also accepts instructions through the Bar Pro Bono Unit.
Recent Matters: Trusts/Real Property
- Defeated a claim under TLATA for a beneficial share of a portfolio of homes in West London.
- Obtained possession of residential properties in the final hearing of an £8million development claim in the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court.
- Acted in a multi-party Chancery Property trial, successfully defending a wife from her husband’s claims of dishonest behaviour relating to the purchase of investment properties.
- M.A. (Hons) in International Relations from the University of St Andrews,
(First Class specialist modules in International Legal Regimes and Conflict Intervention);
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City Law School
- Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School
(VC, Outstanding in Civil Litigation and Civil Remedies)
- Sam Phillips was one of the five Inns of Court Law School Scholars in 2011
Chancery Bar Association