- Called: 1998
Sonia is an experienced property, including housing, specialist and has experience in all aspects of landlord and tenant litigation, with a particular interest in real property.
Before she came to the Bar, she was a qualified pharmacist.
Sonia deals effectively with all property disputes and well known for her robust cross-examination and concise closing submissions. She is a pragmatic litigator and will argue her client’s case while also ensuring that the best course of action is taken for her client
• landlord and tenant (commercial and residential) including claims in the First Tier Tribunal
• real property, including boundary disputes
• leasehold enfranchisement and service charge disputes
• injunctions, closure orders (county court and magistrates court)
• possession claims (particularly subletting and fraud)
She regularly receives instructions from local authorities and social landlords and does accept direct access
Landlord and Tenant
• Represented a local authority in relation to a right of way over a private road
• Represented a vendor of a flat in regards to a covenant to park in a car park
• Instructed by a landlord in a leasehold enfranchisement claim
• Instructed by a landlord to advise on forfeiture proceedings and waiver
This case involved prosecuting three boys in a magistrates court to obtain anti-social behaviour orders against each of them. The case had issues in relation to two of them being under 16 years.
Homelessness appeal on issues relating to intentionality.
The case concerned issues relating to service of a notice pursuant to the Landlord and Tenant act 1987.
- B.Pharm (Hons), The School of Pharmacy, London.
- Common practice Examination Pass The College of Law, Guildford;
- Bar Vocational Course merit Inns of Court School of Law.
Sonia Rai has had articles relating to accommodating children published in the Journal of Housing Law.
Sonia is a member of the Property Bar Association and Social Housing Law Association