- Called: 2014
Sahana has been a member of Five Paper since April 2017. She is a member of both the Commercial and Property teams and is qualified to accept instructions on a public access basis.
In 2018, Sahana was awarded a Pegasus Trust Scholarship to spend three months working in Dubai in the DIFC litigation department of a leading law firm and the registry of the DIFC Courts. During this time, Sahana gained significant experience of DIFC litigation involving the enforcement of court judgments and arbitral awards, as well as the resolution of conflicts of jurisdiction within the region, particularly between the DIFC and Dubai courts.
Prior to joining the Bar, Sahana worked at White & Case (Paris office) as a stagière in the firm’s International Arbitration department. Sahana worked on a wide range of matters including a multibillion-euro ICC construction arbitration.
Sahana accepts instructions in a range of commercial and property matters, with a particular focus on contractual disputes, personal and corporate insolvency, debt recovery and landlord and tenant disputes. She has a particular interest in commercial disputes with an international element, having both worked and studied in jurisdictions outside of England and Wales.
Sahana has experience of acting in and advising on trials of commercial disputes including those involving building works contracts, sales agreements, factoring / invoice discounting agreements, guarantees and commercial facility agreements. She is also familiar with proceedings before the Senior Courts Costs Office and debt recovery claims, including claims for unpaid solicitors’ fees.
Sahana also accepts instructions in relation to shareholder disputes, including unfair prejudice petitions, and claims for breach of directors’ duties. Her experience of commercial and company work includes:
- Advising on jurisdiction and choice of law issues in relation to a claim for declaratory relief involving property located in the UAE.
- Advising on the merits of a claim for breach of contract involving issues under the Limitation Act 1980.
- Drafting pleadings and appearing on behalf a defendant in a building works dispute involving issues of unjust enrichment and agency.
- Appearing for the respondent in an urgent application in the High Court for an injunction restraining the sale of mortgaged property.
- Drafting requests to produce and reviewing document production in a complex insurance claim governed by UAE law and subject to the rules of the DIFC Courts (Pegasus Scholarship).
- Drafting detailed research notes on the recoverability of consequential damages and company ownership under UAE law (Pegasus Scholarship).
- Goldsmith v Chittell  EWHC 630 (Ch); three-day High Court trial regarding repayments under a loan agreement and the issue of limitation where such an agreement does not provide for repayment on a fixed or determinable date (assisting as a pupil)
Sahana acts and advises in relation to personal and corporate insolvency proceedings, appearing regularly in the County Court and Companies Court on the presentation of bankruptcy petitions and winding-up petitions and related applications.
Sahana’s experience of personal and corporate insolvency work includes:
- Advising a company on an application for a validation order.
- Applications to set aside statutory demands and bankruptcy orders.
- Advice on making an application to restore a company to the Register of Companies where assets had passed to the Crown bona vacantia.
Sahana regularly appears for landlords and tenants in possession claims relating to mortgage arrears, rent arrears, anti-social behaviour, disrepair, succession and unlawful eviction. She acts in claims for forfeiture and applications for relief (residential and commercial) in both the High Court and County Court and has appeared in the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) in relation to service charge disputes.
Sahana’s experience of property work includes:
- Trials in possession proceedings involving public law defences and issues under the Equality Act 2010.
- Appeals in the County Court pursuant to s.204 Housing Act 1996.
- Advising on issues of disrepair and the landlord’s obligations under s. 11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.
- Appearing in an application to enforce a covenant pursuant to s. 56 Law of Property Act 1925.
- Advising on enfranchisement under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.
- BPTC, BPP Law School, 2014.
- BA Jurisprudence (Law with Law Studies in Europe) Christ Church, University of Oxford, 2012.
- Certificat Supérieur de Droit Français et Européen, Université Paris II (Panthéon-Assas), 2011.
- Sahana is an accredited commercial and civil mediator, having completed training with the ADR Group in June 2014.
- International and Professional Development Grant 2019, LCLCBA and the Bar Council – awarded a grant to attend the English Law Summit in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan as a delegate representing the Bar of England and Wales.
- Jonathan Brock QC Memorial Essay Prize 2018 – Runner-Up. Prize awarded for essay entitled “Forum non conveniens: Is Spiliada still fit for purpose or holed below the water-line?”
- Pegasus Trust Scholarship, 2018.
- Norman Tapp Memorial Prize, Gray’s Inn, 2014.
- Gray’s Inn Internship Award, 2014.
- Contributor to “Studies in European Construction Law” published by the European Society of Construction Law, 2015.
- Contributor to “Commentary on Indian Trade Unions Act 1926” by Prof. G.V. Ajjappa and Prof. Faizan Mustafa, published by Asia Law House, 2015.
- Fluent French
- Elementary Spanish, Hindi and Kannada.